HGuide icon 2019
Contact us phone

Twitter icon
Instagram icon
YMD image 150px
Capital square icon

Hampton’s Streetcar 390 Project Hosts Open House and Fundraiser
Submitted by Greg Siegel

H390 imageFORT MONROE - After 71 years the last Hampton streetcar #390 returned to Hampton in August 2017 for restoration. Over the last fews years the volunteer committee has raised funds to start the process of bring the 390 back to ______. Restoration started in June of 2019.

The public is invited to get an up close look at the 390 during this multi-year restoration process at a special Open House at 57 Patch Road on Fort Monroe on Saturday, July 13th from 10 am to 4 pm. Along with the open house, a fundraiser sponsored by Firehouse Coffee Shop of Fort Monroe will be serving ice cream for $5.00 a bowl donation. Also a model train layout will be on display as well as other activities.

On hand will be members of the Streetcar 390 Project to answer questions about the history of the car, the restoration and the history of streetcars on the Peninsula. The event is free and open to the public.

According the 390 Project committee head Greg Siegel, "We waited a a long time to get the restoration underway and we are now full steam head as far as our fundraising will take us. This open house will give the public a look at the progress after a few months of work. We will be holding periodic open houses throughout the years giving the community a chance to see the progress we are making in bringing the 390 back to life." Siegel goes on to say "The speed of the restoration will depend on how fundraising goes. The more money that is raised the faster the project can get done. We hope at this event to keep raising funds to keep the restoration going"

Follow Hampton's Streetcar 390 Project on Facebook for the latest updates.

After arriving on Fort Monroe, follow the signs to the event location. For more information call the Hampton Visitor Center at 757-727-1102.

Built in 1917 and delivered to Hampton in 1918, the 390 was in use until January 1946. It was one of 20 remaining streetcars running before all streetcars were discontinued in favor of buses.

The 390 was built by the J.G. Brill Company of Philadelphia, PA. The car was of the type called a semi-convertible. This model featured windows that opened completely to let the air flow throughout the car making for a more comfortable ride for passengers than other models of the era. When the 390 arrived in Hampton it was 8'6" wide and 46'7" long, and could carry 52 seated passengers and approximately 47 standing, although this number was often exceeded during peak periods.

After it was pulled from service, the 390 was sold to John and Mary Anderson for $100. It was moved to their Grafton property in York County, where the couple turned the car into their home where they lived until 1977.

While returning to Baltimore from Virginia Beach with his family in the summer of 1977, one of the members of the Baltimore Streetcar Museum noticed the streetcar along the side of Route 17, and stopped to inquire about it. The semiconvertible model was once common in Baltimore, but the museum did not have one in its collection. Arrangements were made to have the car donated to the Baltimore Streetcar Museum.

The 390 has been sitting at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum since then. The museum periodically performed restoration work on the car over the years, but decided in 2013 to offer the 390 to Hampton to bring it back home. The 390 was welcomed back to Hampton with a ceremony on August 2, 2017.

The trolley's return for restoration was spearheaded by Hampton's Streetcar 390 project with support from the Hampton History Museum. The facility where the restoration will take place is provided by the Fort Monroe Authority. Restoration work will be done by Keith Bray, who has restored a number of streetcars for organizations around the country, with support from a group of volunteers.

After the 390 was loaded into building 57, Greg Siegel, Mike McHenry, Hank Mummert and restorer Keith Bray conducted a survey of the car to start the process of building a timeline of restoration.

After restoration, plans call for the streetcar to be placed in a custombuilt pavilion in Downtown Hampton. The pavilion will be not just home to the 390 but will act as a learning venue featuring a multimedia display that will take visitors on an exciting ride though Hampton during the 1930's. Along with this, there will be interactive displays about how the streetcar system functioned and how it shaped the physical and cultural development.


Home delivery icon2
InBrief 11jul19

Twitter icon
Instagram icon
Help wanted aug16
Help wnated jan16